Grupo Transfronterizo video de UFLP video de Grupo Transfronterizo UNM Homepage

For Immigrants (See info on paying U.S. taxes below.)

Cross-Border Issues Group materials typically come from primary-sources who are consulted, recorded, photographed or videotaped by CBIG students, staff and faculty involved in journalism or other types of academic programs.  CBIG usually adheres to journalistic standards in its information gathering and respects the wishes of vulnerable populations, such as undocumented migrants, regarding use of their images. The information, photos and videos created by CBIG content creators are generally protected by an “Attribution-NonCommercial Creative Commons” copyright license, which means that citizens and non-citizens, including undocumented people, may use CBIG materials for informational and educational purposes.

Creative Commons License

CBIG students, faculty and staff sign agreements that grant non-exclusive rights to use each other’s materials that have been generated during CBIG programs for non-commercial purposes, which include journalistic, educational and research purposes.  Immigrants, regardless of their documented status, may use excerpts, “remix, tweak, and build upon” CBIG materials in non-commercial works, provided the Cross-Border Issues Group is acknowledged for creating the imagery or excerpts.  Anyone with questions regarding use of CBIG materials, they should contact Richard Schaefer at:   505-836-3673 or

There is no need to divulge citizenship or documentation status when making inquiries to CBIG, since that will not affect permissions to use CBIG information and materials.

CBIG generally includes less than a quarter of its imagery and less than half its printed materials on the Cross Border Issues Group / Grupo Transfronterizo Web site, so citizens and educators may want to contact Richard Schaefer to determine if there are CBIG materials that might address their needs even if they do not see such materials on CBIG Web pages.

Paying U.S. Taxes with ITIN and state tax numbers

Immigrants who want to pay U.S. taxes for work done in the United States, regardless of their legal status, may be able to use a state tax number with the Federal Government ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number). This will depend on the state. Download an MS Word document on obtaining and using ITIN-CRS in New Mexico.